Thursday 30 December 2010

The 12 Lessons of 2010. The Year that Was.. (Part 2 of 3)


My sister had her church wedding. And it was also the month when I have officially moved to Singapore. I came here with a one-way ticket, with no guaranteed work, and with just enough money to pay for 3 months worth of rent, transportation, and other basic needs. Despite knowing that my parents are just a call away should I need extra cover, I have placed my hopes on God who never fails to respond on time. Just in time.

And because I have been surrounded by uncertainties, my hope remained firm. I knew I had nothing else but hope.. that I have a BIG God guiding my every move. In a special way, I would like to honor my parents... You guys are the best!

 
This month I received a divine message: “Welcome to the next level.”

The last 3 years seemed to be a struggle to get back on the spiritual track. Level 1 was all about healing and forgiveness and Level 2 is about embracing service wholeheartedly.
Service allowed me to experience the joy of selfless giving in a different way. At that time, I didn’t have extra money to contribute but I had all the time in the world to share what I know and do what I can. Eventually, being penniless in this shopping-inducing country made me appreciate the simple things in life even more.

I am still a fledgling in this area but I am looking forward to greater opportunities to share my time, talent, and treasure not only in my spiritual communities but in all aspects of my life.

On the verge of living in poverty in a new country, I had nothing to hold on to but faith. I badly needed to start working, or else.. I never planned on leaving Singapore, which would have been an easy way out, because deep down, I knew I was where I was supposed to be.
Indeed, everything happens in God’s perfect time. At the right moment, I have received two job offers. So I prayed again for guidance:

“Decide and have faith.”

It was God’s way of reminding me that he gave me the freedom to decide for myself and my future.  And that He trusts my abilities to make a sound decision, and placing this decision in His guiding hands.

 
“What are your priorities?”

It was God who has asked me the same question over and over: in my prayer time, homily of every mass I have heard that week, through facebook application, and dialogues with people.

It was my big 3-0.

 One good thing about celebrating birthdays is that you get to talk to your old friends at least once a year. “At least once” because there are still some who get in touch during Christmas, New Year, and V-day. But the bulk of them remain in oblivion until your well-celebrated natal day. And this year, my good friends practically spent their hard-earned money for an overseas call, while my family flew to Malaysia to be with me. I felt loved. I felt extremely happy.

So I guess the answer to the above question is Relationship. My priority is establishing and maintaining good relationships with God and with people despite living in a faraway place. No doubt, my happiness highly depends on it.

[To be continued..]

No comments:

Post a Comment