Wednesday 6 October 2010

Discomfort Zone

I have always believed that I’m the “happy-go-lucky” type. This theory has been proven by a series of personality tests I took over the years. I am the type who would easily get bored with routine and comfortable (term to be qualified) situations. I thrive in highly stressful environments. Maybe that’s precisely why every time I planned on slowing down; I end up jaded and depressed.

But now as I contemplate on the decisions I’ve made and the actions I took, I have realized that I have been responsible for all the complications I went through. Yes, I have always been the type who mapped her whole lifetime out but I am also the same person who has always been attracted by spontaneity.. by uncertainties.. by unexplainable situations.. and by the innermost desire to surpass them.

Hence, the big move.

Now I am again within my discomfort zone. I am working for an industry that is completely new to me in a place that is relatively new to me. I have accepted my current job with my knowledge and long years of experience as arsenal. My self-esteem came from believing that since I have done great in my previous assignments, no matter how new they were at first, I can as well be successful in this highly technical industry.
So far so good.

As expected, there are days that I seriously don’t know what to do but collect all the guts to ask my boss (keeping my fingers crossed that he wouldn’t think of me as an idiot) a lot of questions about a project or about the nitty gritty details of a product. There are days that I would just bury my head in prayer for the much needed divine intervention as to how to perform an assignment. Some days I just sit, sigh, and savor the unknown.

I am stressed, like everybody else. But my current stress is not because of the deadlines, nor the pile of tasks to be completed. I am stressed because of a deep desire to earn the respect of the people who hired me. My core is deeply motivated by accomplishment, which I can only envision in my mind as of the moment. But I guess before that vision becomes tangible, I must endure/enjoy the discomfort zone I am in now.

And still, as long as I don’t let what I do define who I am, I am safe.
Well, let’s see what happens.
Where God guides, He provides.        - Vance Havner

No comments:

Post a Comment