Wednesday 22 September 2010

The Commuter Story Collection – Sept 22

“Train is coming.. Train is coming.. Train is comiiiing.. Love your ride.”



While some people I know are annoyed by the new jingle playing every time a train approaches, I on the other hand, find it really informative and entertaining. The Public Transport Council’s (PTC) “Love your ride” campaign is aimed at encouraging commuters to be more considerate—and hopefully correct some nasty behaviors in MRTs and public buses.

As for its effectiveness? That I cannot confirm as of the moment. Just this morning aboard a bus to work, I witnessed an unpleasant behavior that this campaign targets most especially. A pregnant woman boarded the crowded bus and found her place between six men sitting comfortably. To my dismay, none of the six gentlemen bothered to give up his seat. I, seated on the other row, immediately stood up and gave mine.

I am sharing this not to brag about my recent good deed but to add merit to the rationale behind the graciousness campaign. As an outsider who wishes for the same proactive campaign to be launched in her home country (that badly needs it btw), I commend PTC’s efforts to “remind” the public on GMRC. It’s about time to clearly draw the line between the polite and the rowdy commuters; and to further promote positive behavior to the younger generation.

A pleasant ride is everyone’s responsibility. Habit-formation takes time and PATIENCE. It is a tough challenge but if done right, it will surely be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment