Saturday 18 September 2010

Alternative Medicine: Acupuncture


Photosource: naturalhealinghawaii.com
I have a wrist injury which initially developed Feb of this year due to boxing. Thanks to rehab, I was able to move it in time for my big move to SG. However last week, the injury recurred when I played bowling in Jurong with my community friends. After 3 pathetic throws, my wrist raised the white flag and declared its impotence. Now, even writing and showering became a painful task.

I still managed to report to work last Monday but heck, my wrist was in excruciating pain. My workmate noticed and he immediately referred me to a doctor certified in traditional Chinese medicine. I decided to make a Saturday appointment and my workmate even volunteered to accompany with me.

Saturday. After a one-hour train ride, I arrived in Bukit Batok to see the doctor. He has a small clinic and his white wall hangs his government certification and newspaper / magazine features. He immediately checked my wrist and told me that I have a swollen tendon--nothing that acupuncture cannot treat. So he carefully stretched and massaged my forearm, took some needles, and carefully poked them one by one.

It was my first time and as expected, the needle-poking didn’t hurt at all. Overall, there were seven needles scattered around my right arm. Then, I was told to rest for 30 minutes.

Then..

After 30 minutes, the doctor took the needles out and started twisting my arm, bending my elbows, and pulling my hands. This went on for 5 minutes (while my body involuntarily squirms in pain). He then massaged my arm with an ointment and patched the wrist with some ‘Chinese herb paste’ which I didn’t bother asking, although it smelled like plum and mint.. He then covered my wrist with a bandage which I can only remove tomorrow.

I was asked to rest it for a week. If I’m lucky, I can resume my favourite activities: boxing and wall climbing next month! So help me God.

Chang Jiang Acupuncture & Medical Centre
Blk 166 Bukit Batok West Ave 8
#01-254 Singapore 650166
Tel: 65665909

No comments:

Post a Comment